The company needs to train agents periodically on its various products including the homeowners insurance. The main challenge that the company faced was to conduct a number of classroom sessions for the newly-hired agents. While classroom sessions are great to provide in-depth training, the availability of trainers and scheduling of sessions was a challenge. Also, the new agents came in with a different level of experience and the company needed to level the knowledge and understanding of homeowners insurance products before the agents were able to attend the classroom sessions. The company felt that at least some part of the training can be standardized and provided as eLearning so that learners are not dependent on the trainers to get the required information.
To meet the challenge, we needed to:
- Understand the core challenge
- Ideate on the best possible strategy to overcome the challenge
- Come up with a digital training plan in a short span of time
- Create a learning journey that could stand the test of time
- Understand the learner’s pain points better
Through the newly-developed eLearning format, the company could reach out to a greater number of learners spread across different geographical areas within the country through simple customization of state-specific information.
We proposed to create 7 eLearning modules each with an average duration of 20 minutes. The eLearning modules mainly focused on a variety of topics ranging from general to specific aspects of the homeowners insurance product, such as product overview, underwriting guidelines, endorsements, and the complete insurance related information required by the agents.
- The courses were developed to work in desktop PCs, laptops, and tablets. The structure of the courses was modular, so that learners can take each course at their own time, pace, and convenience. The course had a wide variety of interactivities and gamification elements that helped the learners engage with the content better.
- The courses also had guidance on the next steps that needed to be performed, such as completing the workbook assignments, answering questions in quiz, how to get latest information on the subject, etc. This was done to ensure that the learning journey is complete and transfer of learning to the job is better.
- The course was designed and developed in about 10 weeks and delivered to the client. Thanks to the efforts of the entire team, there was an increased awareness and better understanding of the product and its features. There was a positive feedback from learners that they could access the courses at their own pace and this facility greatly benefited them. There were better completion rates and better application of the concepts learned to the job. The Workbook could also be used as a learning resource on the job.